Thursday, April 8, 2010

we're going to Astoria!

To celebrate my 3-day weekend, Stephen and I are going to spend the night at the beach and travel to Astoria, Oregon.
Being the planner that I am, I have made our itinerary for the day.
I'm so excited to spend the day traveling in this beautiful coastal city.


Travel Itinerary to Astoria, Oregon 
 
• The Astoria Column
The Astoria Column has served for over 80 years as a beacon on the Pacific Northwest Coast. It sits in a wooded area 600 feet above sea level on Coxcomb Hill, Astoria, Oregon’s highest point.

• The Flavel House Museum
This historic 1885 Queen Anne Style Victorian Home and its period furnishings enable visitors to imagine what life was like in Astoria at the turn of the last century. Its decorative exterior, with hipped roof, balconies and verandas and its three-story octagon tower, has been restored to original form and the mansion’s large rooms with their elegant woodwork are accented by furnishings and decorations of a century ago. 

• Astoria Riverfront Trolley
 A restored 1913 trolley runs for 2.6 miles along the Columbia River in Astoria while the conductor provides interpretation of the area’s history and attractions

• Astoria-Megler Bridge
The Astoria-Megler Bridge, which was formally dedicated August 27, 1966, stretches 4.1 miles from Astoria, Oregon, across the mouth of the Columbia River, to Point Ellice, Washington. Its construction was an impressive feat. The bridge’s main span is 1,232 feet in length, the longest “continuous truss” in the nation.

• Fort Stevens National Park
With more than 3,500 acres, the park features campsites, beach access, hiking and biking trails. Out on the beach at Fort Stevens State Park, you can view the wrecked sailing ship Peter Iredale, which went down in 1906. The fort was the only site in the continental states fired upon by the Japanese during WWII.

I'll post pictures of our adventures when we return.
Happy early weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment